Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hurricane Provisions

With Hurricane Irene bearing down on the New York area and likely to make landfall on the south-shore of Long Island about right exactly where I am right now.    


To be proper provisioned for a hurricane you need a few things:
  • Water - bottled sin-gas --- check
  • Batteries - go heavy on the Cs and Ds -- check
  • Generator - can't miss SportsCenter -- check
  • Non-perishable food - is there any other kind? Pop-tarts and Rice Krispie treats and baked beans are my favorites -- check
  • Flash lights - need to find snacks at night -- check
But the real provision you will need are the ingredients for a Dark and Stormy cocktail and they are:
  • Goslings Black Seal Bermuda Black Rum
  • Barritts Ginger Beer
  • Cubed ice
  • Pint Glass
  • Slice of lime, sprig of mint - not necessary
Divvy up your glass between Rum and Ginger beer to your taste...

You may be able to get away with another brand of ginger beer such as Gosling's makes their own but its ginger beer not ginger ale.  Huge difference.  

If you go with another brand of rum then its simply not a Dark and Stormy but its something that may be tasty and get you through the storm.     As I am on Long Island and close proximity to a fair share of knuckleheads, I heard a great quote at the beverage store when picking up my ginger beer yesterday....."yeah I'm not evacuating no where, I will be drinking so when they find my body in the Great South Bay I will be already preserved."

Be safe and enjoy!!

No comments: