Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Locks - Royal Ascot Day 3

Had no luck in Day 1 at Royal Ascot .....


Cityscape came in 3rd behind as suspected #1 and #2, Canford Cliffs and Goldikova....the Queen Anne Stakes lived up to its billing.....


The King's Stand was a total miss by me... Sole Power came in 8th, Astrophysical Jet in 10th and Tangerine Trees came in dead last..... ouch!


In the St. James Palace....again as expected Frankel won.....I liked Zoffany at 20-1 but didn't back him as I put my money with Dubawi Gold (6th) and Grand Prix Boss (8th).....again ouch!


On the Coventry Stakes......I ended up boxing Fulbright , Gabrial, Jack Who's He in an exacta with a W/P on Fulbright....those horses came in 16th, 20th and 8th, respectively.....triple ouch!


On Day 2.....I bet the 3 Group Stakes...


In the Jersey Stakes, a race for 3yo going 7furlongs...I put a win/place wager on Havane Smoker at 9-1....horse didn't fire and ended up 8th out of 9..... 


I was worried I was going to be completely shut out...but liked Lolly for Dolly at 11-1,came in from racing well in Ireland, 2 wins and 2 runner ups in last 4 group stakes on the Emerald Isle.   the fillie rewarded me and my win/place bet....winnings covered all my Day 2 bets and half of what I wagered on Day 1.


With that win I saw that I could beat the 1-2 favorite in the Price of Wales Stakes and bet Planteur, a horse that hadn't run out of the money save for a trip over to Sha Tin for their top race and the soft going in last year's Arc.  It ended up being the Sheik's Rewilding at 8.5-1 that beat the favorite not Planteur...with that I called it a day.


Day 3.....the Locks with an aim on betting $20 or less on a race for the day's Group stakes are:


Norfolk Stakes is a 5 furlong sprint for 2yos.....18 horses line up...Silverheels is the 13-2 favorite based off an open lengths maiden win....but I will look to Bannock 8-1 who already has 4 races under his belt and has 2 wins and 2 runner-up finishes in those races....will also go with Crown Dependency which has Richard Hughes up who has booted home 3 winners this meet including a 11-1 and a 12-1 on Day 2.....we will go Bannock/CD $2 exacta box and then $3 WP Bannock, $3WP Crown Dependency......


The Ribblesdale Stakes features 3yo fillies going 1m 4furlongs (1 1/2 miles) ...Highest  9-1 has won at 12 furlongs and so has Banimpire 3-1.   Lets take $2 Win/Place on Highest and then a $2 exacta box Highest, Banimpire and Zain al Boldin.  


The Group 1 Gold Cup is the centerpiece of centerpieces of the Royal Ascot meet.....a grueling 20 furlong (2.5 miles) race.....Kasbah Blues is battle hardened 9yo gelding that finished 6th in this race last year but may be able to move up off of its April score over Gentoo and Americain at Saint Cloud.  Gentoo is probably the best marathoner in France.   Americain won Australia's top race, the Melbourne Cup.   Fictional Account has only 1 stakes win but that comes at Ascot last September going 16 furlongs...Fame and Glory is the 13/5 favorite but  itsn't a confirmed marathoner - if we were to go beyond marathoners then go with 7-1 Duncan.  


So lets go $1 exacta and $1 trifecta Kasbah Blues, Fictional Account, Fame and Glory and Duncan.   Lets take $5 win/place on Kasbah Blues


Good Luck!!!















No comments: